01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Advertising: Is this Brilliant - or Desperate?

Latest mail from Majestic:-

Château Bertrand-Braneyre is just ten minutes’ drive from ‘First Growth’ Châteaux Lafite and Mouton Rothschild

Ten minutes drive ?

also they say

Château Bertrand-Braneyre’s 40-year-old Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Cabernet Franc and Petit Verdot vines see near-identical conditions to the neighbours - Majestic

The winery website says The average age of the vines is 30 years

By the way - the winery is up for sale - http://www.bertrand-braneyre.com/en/home.html

8 Likes

This kind of reminds me somewhat of Ryanair… you know “Flying you to an airport NEAR an airport you want to go to” :rofl:

8 Likes

does that put it in the nice bit of land near the old refinery / oil storage right on the river bank ? :wink:

5 Likes

Hmm - drill down a bit and you get “62%” would buy it again - which isnt exactly glowing - similarly Vivino (275 reviews) average 3.9 out of 5 stars. On the other hand £14 if part of a mixed case seems a very fair price for a 2010 and a punt with lowish expectations.

In fact, it cant be very interesting if the drive distance to Lafite is the best MJ can say about the wine.

I visited Pauillac a couple of years ago (on the train) - and what a dump ! doesn’t look like any of the cash spent on posh wines actually finishes up in the community.

That’s a great find… it doesn’t look like terroir is their main focus.

Look out for “just ten minutes from Chateaux Margaux*”

*by bullet train

2 Likes

The vinous equivalent of ‘town and gown’ maybe…

No, flying to an airport quite a long way from where you want to go in my general experience…

1 Like

And for the return journey, the added fun of ‘online check in 24h before you travel’ except… Ryanair check-in doesnt work with firefox browser and a couple of others. not that the website tells you that, and the phone helpline is jammed. How much fun it is to find somewhere in the depths of rural France, with sufficient free bandwidth to download and install another browser. Happy days.

1 Like

to be fair…most of France around a train station is of very similar ‘status’

we like Pauillac for a lunch and wander along the estuary and round the mini marina…but more than one street back and “town and gown” fits superbly

Anyone who has driven between the northern and southern champagne growing areas on the autoroute will know that there is a very long stretch that passes through endless plains of arable farmland. In the middle of this is an old ex-WW2 USAF base called Vatry, miles from anywhere. Ryanair fly into this place, calling it “Paris Vatry”. Paris is 147km distant. I think this one holds the record, although - unlike some - it is at least in the same country as the place named.

5 Likes