01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Achtung! The Likely Lads are off the Germany

germany

Hi Guys and Gals.

Name’s Terry, this is my first post as a member of the Community. Next month I’m off to Bavaria with my friend Pete - we’re both past sell-by age but still enjoy an annual week away from the wives. We love our wines and our beers. We know all about the latter but wines? Is Bavaria famous for anything special? With whites is it true that the longer the name the better the wine?

Any recommendations on hotels and restaurants would also be welcomed. As a guide we will be staying at Fussen for a couple of nights, then going by train to Lindau for three nights, then driving up through the Black Forest to Baden-Baden.

Hi Terry - welcome to the Community!

Bavaria is renonwed for its Franken wines, i.e. from the area of Franconia, in the north of Bavaria around Nuremberg (so miles away from where you’re going, but doubtless you’ll still find some!). Horst Sauer and Hans Wirsching are names to look out for.

Lindau / Bodensee is known for Muller-Thurgau (not usually an exciting grape) and some decent pinot noir (Spätburgunder, as they call it over there).

With regard to Baden-Baden, read this article from Decanter a few years back.

South of there is where it’s at, between Offenburg & Freiburg (mirror image of Alsace across the other side of the Rhine) where you will find Weingut Bercher, whose Chardonnay, Grauburgunder (pinot gris) and Scheurebe we sell.

Have a great trip!

In the absence of being in a Wine growing area, you could try looking for establishments called “Weinstube” which is a wine bar that probably also serves food.

If you are going to the Black Forest then on a cake related theme dont miss sampling Schwarzwelder Kirsch Torte (aka Black Forest gateau).

The only German wine area I know anything about is the Mosel whose white wines are a thing of zingy beauty. They come in tall green bottles and yes, most have long names featuring the town they come from, the vineyard they come from, the grape variety, and a quality indicator such as Kabinett or Auslese and, if it is a dry wine, you will see the word Trocken on the label too. So a Wine might be called
Brauneburger Juffer Riesling Trocken (a dry wine from the Juffer vineyard in a town called Brauneberg) or Brauneberger Juffer Riesling Auslese which is a high quality sweet wine from the same place.

There are also some seriously good red wines from Germany now too, many made from Pinot Noir, called spatburgunder in German.

Have a fab trip!

As already mentioned Bavaria isn’t really a wine producing area, but Franconia and Baden certainly are. Look out for dry Silvaner and Riesling from Franconia (usually in the round shaped bocksbeutel) from growers like Wirsching, Sauer and Juliuspital. Rudolf Furst is a fantastic producer of Pinot Noir (Spatburgunder).
Baden is a very diverse and large area, which could easily be split in to a number of smaller more cohesive regions. As a whole the area is fantastic for the Pinot varieties (Grau/Weiss/Spat -burgunder) there is also some good Chardonnay, sparkling and even top class Syrah available (Ziereisen Jaspis) from near the Swiss border.

The Black Forest and Baden Baden are two of my favourite places in Germany! Spent 10 days in both last summer, as well as Bavaria. Fabulous places!
Here are my recommendations:
Baden is a large wine production area - look out for surprisingly fresh and fruity Spätburgunder (aka Pinot Noir). There are also some fairly cheap and refreshing Weissburgunder (Pinot Blanc) and Grauburgunder (Pinot Gris) wines. The Pinot Gris in particular can be very good, as they are Alsatian in style (Alsace being just across the border). For light reds, we also enjoyed Trollinger. Perfect picnic red, though I doubt you’ll be picnicking…!
@JayKay mentioned the Weinstube - on our last night in Baden- Baden we ate at a wonderful weinstube called ‘Weinstube am Baldreit’. Highly recommended for its ambience, fantastic Alsatian fare and excellent wines. Do seek it out, if you’re there.
Have a fab time! :grinning: