01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Absolutely NOTHING to do with wine

One the other day was even bigger than that :nauseated_face:

1 Like

The picture isn’t great but this one we caught using our home made mouse trap - half a plastic lemonade bottle. He was released into the garden.

2 Likes

My friends have tutted disapprovingly at my traps… but the current kill count is at 9 :scream:. Now convinced they are coming through from next doors basement into ours and coming up through the holes in the flooring under the stairs where I’m killing them… I will be "tactfully speaking to the neighbours this week…:persevere:

2 Likes

As Aaronb wrote earlier, time to get a cat. I used to have a lovely cat, very sweet natured but a ferocious hunter. No animals of any kind in the garden except worms and a few insects. Since she went I’ve had birds (ok except for pigeons which I hate!), squirrels, and badgers. No mice yet but I’m wary!

3 Likes

Mines getting old now (14). She still likes hunting mice but birds don’t interest her, they come and eat worms and seeds in the garden whilst she dozes under a bush not even giving them a glance.

1 Like

It’s interesting how we always think of cats because, obviously, they hunt and catch mice, but when I had my two dogs, to the best of my knowledge, they never caught anything (except fleas!). And yet whilst I had them I never had the plagues of mice I have nowadays nor any other small pests in the garden like rabbits, voles and moles, all of which have since appeared in ever increasing numbers. I suspect the deterrent of ‘scent of predator’ was more effective than any of these modern electronic devices!

3 Likes

Reviving this topic AGAIN!
Any tips on what to do when your hot water stops working ? I’ve topped up the pressure and that hasn’t worked . It’s a combi boiler . Help :see_no_evil:! My kids smell!

put 50p in the meter and hope it comes on!

seriously…gas ? if so turn on the hot and see if the boiler comes into operation.

assuming if a combination, that you have no immersion so no electric fallback ?

1 Like

Nope :-1:, I topped up the pressure from below 1 to 2 . When I run the hot taps nothing kicks in . I’ll have a look at this thanks @JayKay.

check

1. can you see a gas pilot light
  2. has a "fuse blown/trip gone

I have a combi too but have never had this problem. Is the heating working? If so I’d say that whatever sensor detects the water tap being turned on is not working and it’s probably gas engineer call out time.

1 Like

I got up in the loft, reset it and it went back to error 133, it’s a baxi , am just going to have to call a boiler guy out ! Thanks everyone … kids can stay filthy for a bit longer :rofl::rofl:

1 Like

Beat me to it, I was just about to advise error code! :smiley:

Leah, For men’s sartorial elegance you should encourage your other half to watch Kirby Allison on youtube. He does everything from mirror glossing toe caps to tie knots. My shoes look immaculate and I never tie a Windsor knot anymore.

1 Like

He is sooo prissy though. And I cannot agree with him on the correct way to polish Cordovan. But I will concede he gets a good shine on.

Always a four in hand man myself, last time I put on a tie which was about a thousand years ago.

1 Like

Field mice used to get into our house through diused piping . Our dog would smell them out and kill them inspite of my best efforts at trying to get them out safely. When we had our new kitchen in 2014 that solved the problem.
I heard about a cat that came across a rat in the garden . The rat chased the cat and the cat escaped into the house via the cat flap and the rat followed . The rat had to chase the rat out.