01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

A week in Arbois

Thinking of visiting the town and surrounding areas next February/March.

Any recommendations as to places to stay, eat at or visit are welcome.

1 Like

sorry I replied to this but got some things incorrect so here goes again…

I was posting that I too am visiting Jura again - after long gap - in October.

I bought an excellent book by the renowned Jura wine expert Wink Lorch her self-published definitive guide which I highly recommend. May be a little out of date for some recommendations, but I’m sure they could be followed up if need be

(Not to be confused with her similarly titled Classic Wine Library book from 2018 - now out of print)

1 Like

Maybe @Ewan can give you suggestions as he is also a personal friend of Wink Lorch and as far as im aware knows the region well :wink:.

Wouldn’t say I know the region well, but Wink’s book can still be used as a good guide to the area. I tasted an amazing Arbois chardonnay yesterday (‘Patchwork’ from Tissot) that we will be featuring at our press tasting next month and in the range in October. Watch this space.

7 Likes

Another vote for Wink Lorch’s book! :+1: Well-written, informative with plenty of recommendations.

2 Likes

I love that wine. It’s fantastic!

2 Likes

You’ll be tasting it at the Press tasting! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Will you, @Strawpig?!?

1 Like

@strawpig @lapin_rouge and @Herbster were to have been the lucky participants on our aborted March 2020 press tasting. Next month is to be the first fully normal press tasting since then (i.e. not online nor restricted numbers) so we thought it only fair to invite the three folk back who missed out last time.

8 Likes

That’s a nice touch. Very glad they could make it; would be dreadful if you had to try and find someone to step in at the last moment :wink: :wink: :wink:

Enjoy the tasting you three, I look forward to reading all about it.

3 Likes

Fantastic news! :clap: looking forward to the three musketeers’ notes already!:grinning:

3 Likes

Steer clear of the local Liqueur de Sapin is my top tip :nauseated_face:. It was gifted to me to take back for my parents when I stayed in the area as a teenager (many moons ago). Sometimes drinking local can be a mistake…

4 Likes

Juarassic retsina?

3 Likes

Unfortunately I’m under strict instruction from my boss to go. I recently introduced him to the Society and he has the zeal of a new convert. We’ll probably see him here in a few weeks so I’ll need to stop moaning about work!

5 Likes

Looking forward to it immensely. The new concept of spitting wine out will be a challenge, I anticipate a sleepy evening train home to Yorkshire.

When it was originally meant to happen - there was an aged Muscadet up for tasting (2013 I think?) - when the tasting didn’t happen I bought a bottle and then bought quite a few, absolutely superb. Hoping to chance upon something similar.

@Inbar - I have never before been called a musketeer !

3 Likes

Needs must eh?

1 Like

It’s a wonderful opportunity: enjoy it.

2 Likes

Hi @Ewan any chance some of the other Tissot wines might make an appearance on the list at some point?

3 Likes

Hi Will - I’m sure there will be, but there’s nothing else on the system at the moment, I’m afraid. @owmarcel would be your man. I’ll ask him next time I see him.

2 Likes

Many thanks! Such incredible wines. Hoping we might get some Clos de la Tour de Curon.

1 Like