01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

A new wine, to me at least

Have recently been given a mixed case of ‘orphan’ bottles. This evening we drank the 2004 Nuit Saint-Georges ‘Lavieres’ Old Vines, Christophe - Minot. This was utterly delicious. There is a bottle of Volnay 2015 1er Cru Les Caillerets by Benjamin Leroux. The WS has the same but a 2016 by Henri Boillot. Advice please, which is the better year and which is the better producer? Thanks.

2 Likes

2015/16 are both very good (most places gave both 9/10 or equivalent with some giving one or the other a 10, but not much consistency as to which.). I’d say both are still keepers rather than drinkers at !er Cru level (unless the producer knows/says otherwise!). Bourgogne Wines have a useful “When should I drink my wine?” page, which breaks the entire region down by appellation.

I can’t really comment on the producers as I’ve not had either. Sorry!

3 Likes

@strawpig is spot on about the vintages. Regarding the producers both are highly regarded. I have wines from Benjamin Leroux in storage but haven’t actually tasted any.
From my limited experience about burgundy I would say the only wines drinking well from those vintages now are the Bourgogne appellation.

2 Likes

Agreed. Even then I’d consider starting on 17s and leaving 15/16s a little longer.

1 Like

strawpig,
Thank you for your comments and also for the very useful link to “When should I drink my wine?” it is most kind of you.

Thanks Rafa,
I was not intending to drink the Volnay for a few years but am thinking of buying a few bottles of the Henri Boillot. Presumably you have some of the Leroux whites in storage, if you have been tasting them, please, how were they?
It would be interesting to hear from anyone who has opened any of the WS listed Henri Boillot whites. Thanks again.

I checked my stored wines and what I have is a case of Benjamin Leroux Gevrey-Chambertin 2017. I haven’t actually tasted any of his wines and bought this after some research

1 Like