01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

A new cork treatment?

In the last year or so, I have noticed the arrival of corks that are very resistant to deformation and which have a very uniform, smooth, light coloured surface. One was in fact so smooth and solid that I thought at first it was plastic.

I have just broken a couple apart, which required a monkey wrench and a pair of pliers - no chance of doing it with my bare hands. The inside is a lot darker, possibly a bit darker than most corks, but more normal looking. On the edge of the broken surface you can see that the lighter colour has penetrated the cork a little, or perhaps it is a coating with a thickness you can just about make out with the naked eye.

Anyone know how these corks are treated, and why? With some plastic corks looking a lot more like the real thing (TWS example: Ca’ dei Frati Lugana) it is getting quite confusing.

An example of a hard light coloured cork from TWS is that in Aranleón Sólo Bobal, Utiel Requena 2016.

I always prefer my wine bottles closed by a ‘cork’ stopper but I do not recognise the multi-colour corks that you describe. I have seen a thin wax or plastic coating on the outside but inside the colour was not different.

Whilt trying to find out more I came across an interesting webpage on a British cork selling company:- Rankin Cork.

May I take the opportunity of this cork thread to mention three ‘corks’ that have interested me from bottles opened this year?

1. a plastic ‘cork’ with the message on it: “Ce bouchon est spécialement conçu pour préserver les arômes de ce vin”
  2. a ‘cork’ that looks real but feels waxy or plastic: “NOMACORK Select Green 100 100% recyclable”.
  3. a real cork with FSC certification number C020421: “Liège issu de gestion forestière responsable”.

FSC certified real cork which keeps cork trees being grown to support their wildlife sounds excellent to me!

I think you’ll find it’s Nomacorc (with c at end) They are one of the leading oak bark alternative closures

Absolutely right. I should have known that as I’ve had plenty of their stoppers before but mis-typed.
I find that the parent company is now called Vinventions and Nomacorcs are made from sugarcane-based raw materials.
Vinventions Nomacorc