01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

50-year old Chateauneuf offer

Just received a message with Marcel’s latest offer: a 50-year old Chateauneuf with excellent and traceable provenance. Looks like a once in a lifetime chance. Would you go for it? Why or why not?

1 Like

I would, as it seems to have very good provenance and it is a 50 year-old wine at an acceptable price, a unique opportunity. I probably will not, as I am minimising buying and also not yet a massive C9dP convert.

Only until the next such chance comes along.

9 Likes

I too have no real interest (or skin in this particular game, so aficionados knock yourself out!), but just as a point of interest…

testament to the keeping qualities of Châteauneuf

…I always assumed - had always understood - that most Chateauneuf wasn’t particularly renowned, or suited, or built, for long cellaring? Have I got this wrong?

2 Likes

I feel very proud of myself for resisting this, even though I have no really old wines and this sounds fabulous.

Yes sirree, I definitely haven’t just put a case of this into reserves. :innocent:

5 Likes

I think the appellation suffers in this regard because it is so big. There is a lot of poor / mediocre stuff out there. Take one of the more classic producers (Beaucastel, Clos des Papes, Vieux Donjon etc) and they’re as ageable as similar level Bordeaux or Burgundy I think.

7 Likes

Not for me.
Reasons being:
a) a bit too steep in price - about £50 is where I max out on
b) I like aged wines, not old wines - there is a difference
c) bottle variability - I would not feel comfortable using ‘The Promise’ on something like this if it just wasn’t to my tastes. If it was corked/oxidised etc then yes but with a wine like this, there will be an element of risk.

8 Likes

I am so glad I bought a lot of Beaucastel over the years, it is great stuff and if I am ever in need of some ready cash it seems to go for a lot on the secondary market too in good vintages. I am not sure I would be willing to stump up for the 2006, 10 and 16 I am sitting on, luckily I bought it EP. But it does require time - I am most of the way through the case of 2006 and it still seems really stiff.

2 Likes

Ok, being more serious/honest, the key considerations for me were:

1. I enjoy old wine occasionally. Not often, but sometimes and it’s an itch you can’t really scratch otherwise.

2. The description sounds perfect for that purpose. If the wine isn’t as described, I’ll use the promise - TWS seems an ideal vendor from which to buy wine that has inherent risk to it.

3. My brother likes CndP and I’ve missed him during this rubbish lockdown so here is something we can celebrate with, together.

4. The vast majority of my good stuff was bought for the long term and needs 5+ years minimum.

5. 50 years’ cellaring? That’s worth a bit.

9 Likes

As always my point is; it would be rude not to
A couple of bottles won’t do any harm

2 Likes

My wife and I recently celebrated our 50th wedding anniversary a week ago and were bought 1971 Hermitage. To my palate it tasted more like a Chateauneuf du Pape than a Hermitage. It was very ripe and obviously well past it’s prime albeit a very interesting bottle.

I notice that this offer has been re-corked too, so whether that makes much difference, who knows? I don’t think I’ll be buying it!

10 Likes

Congratulations, that’s wonderful !

4 Likes

Sadly beyond my budget. But if you have the means its a no brainer because of TWS money back if not happy guarantee. Although… I think the buyer has to accept some measure of risk.

3 Likes

I’m with you, I’d love to give it a try but I just can’t justify that level of spend.

This is the bit where I get run out of town… I’ve never had a Chateauneuf-du-Pape I felt was worth the money. Obviously I am curious, but I’m not £72 a bottle curious, especially for a CndP.

I have a feeling this is a sign that this wine buying break has worked as I’d probably have gone in on pure FOMO based reasons previously.

7 Likes

Clos des Papes recent vintages can go for more than that, as a reference.

1 Like

I wouldnt . I can think of better things to spend £72 . on. One of the problems about wine is you dont know if your going to like it before drinking. If you dont like it, thats £72 down the drain.

Jumped at the chance, that kind of provenance is probably quite rare and it’s covered by the Society’s Promise which makes it a relative bargain (ok, not a bargain but you know what I mean)

2 Likes

A relative bargain. Provenance + promise means a lot.

Just think what that would get you in a good restaurant. Not a whole lot. Certainly nothing so interesting. And if you frame it as paying for cellar time, it’s a steal.

Not for myself however. It’s a contextual bargain but exceeds my home bottle budget.

5 Likes

I justified this by buying a bottle as a present for a good friend who is 50 this year. He probably won’t fully appreciate it, but also he probably will share it with me.

11 Likes

That makes two of us, but I’ll get more run out of town when I expand that to Cornas and Crozes-Hermitage :grinning:

4 Likes