01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

5 wines for your special Christmas?

christmas

I always put quite a bit of effort into Christmas.
The food extra special.
The company more so.
But what bottles to serve??
So which 5 bottles will you hope to impress your guests with?
So I will take the lead:

TWS Exhibition Hermitage 2005.
Ermitage Nicolas Perrin 2010
Cote Rotie Ch de Montlys 2009
The Society’s Exhibition Hermitage Blanc 2013
Half bottle of Château Suduiraut, Sauternes 1998

Those who are aware of my tastes will probably not be surprised!!:grinning:
I have deliberately chosen these bottles to illustrate what can be accumulated in a few years from TWS. The earliest purchase was made in February 2016, not even 3 years ago, the rest this year. The most expensive £44 for the Perrin Ermitage, the least expensive, the sweetie at £21.

I could have chosen the Cayron 2010 at £20, the Bellene CDN at £14,50, the WS Exhibition Crozes at £14, etc which goes to show that you do not have to fork out (LoL!!) a kings ransom to treat your family and friends.
What have you in mind?
I would love to know and I am sure that so would others.
And a very happy Christmas to all posters here and a Peaceful New Year. :smiley:

For 5 wines I would choose:

For me it will most likely be a 2 x fizz, 2 x whites & 2 x reds:
Fizz
Champagne Pierre Gimonnet Premier Cru Brut NV
Peter Lehmann Black Queen Sparkling Shiraz 2012
White
St Aubin PC Perrieres Domaine Henri Prudhon 2009
Guigal Condrieu 2015
Red
Château Mont-Redon Châteauneuf-du-Pape 2010
The Standish Wine Company The Relic Shiraz Viognier 2007

*Although all subject to change

• Taittinger Comtes 2006 (but only because it was half price at M&S!). Followed by:

then

(should I decant the day before? I reckon it will still be pretty young…)

and then either:

or

The following are likely to make an appearance - the first two at a mini xmas lunch this sunday, and some combination of the rest to be taken ‘home’ when i visit family for xmas week:

1. Domaine Maume, Gevrey-Chambertin en Pallud 2008
  2. 2001 Château de Rayne-Vigneau
  3. Moulinet-Lasserre 2000
  4. Leoville Barton 1988
  5. Barão de Vilar Porto 30 Year Old Tawny Port

The top 5 wines I have planned for this Christmas are:-

*Pol Roger 2000
*Pichon Lalande 1985
*Leoville Barton 1982
*Tyrell’s VAT 1 Semillon 2006
*Graham’s 1977 Vintage Port

The Bordeaux shelf in my Eurocave has sat largely untouched for a decade. I stopped buying Bordeaux after the 2000 vintage so all older vintages. One of my resolutions for 2019 is to start working my way through them starting at Christmas with two wines I haven’t tried since 2006. The Pichon was spectacular- I hope it has held up…

Vinous recommends that the Lalande is starting to go out of balance as per tasting 2016, should be ok. 89/100
Your Barton 91+/100 in 2002. Vinous gave a drink up date of 2020 which I would ignore but I would throat one and see where it was.
Hope this helps?:wink:

Barton tasted at Chateau, 2018. Vinous 92/100:wink:, drink until 2030 but I suppose depends on storage.
Rayne in 2003, 90-93/100 but lots of H2O under the bridge!! lol!!

All Vinous
Redon 93/100 no date for window
Guigal Condrieu 93/100 2018-22
:wink:

Posted my five in another thread:

Only the Santorini not bought at TWS. Looking forward to the Gratien, any champagne, let alone vintage, is a rarity for me.

I picked three in another thread, none of which are available through TWS to my knowledge, which I’d plan to serve if hosting:

If I were to pick another two, I’d strongly favour these:

And

The one I haven’t mentioned elsewhere which will feature is the 2012 Jaboulet Vacqueyras ‘Les Cypres’ which was £7/bottle IB en primeur and is now at its peak, offering cut above cru southern Rhone characteristics with real balance and finesse, at under £14 including storage. This is TWS at its best - an inexpensive toe in the water of fine wine which works out brilliantly and helps to spark what I am sure will be a lifelong interest.

Just re-read thread and realised it’s only 5 wines you wanted so it’s out the door with the champagne. Although I’m sure there will be some of that consumed :wink:

Picked up 3 of the 88 Leoville Barton at auction earlier in the year, and allegedly they had been kept in an underground cellar - drank one a few weeks ago with some friends to celebrate us all turning 30 during the year and it was lovely, probably not going to improve much, but certainly not fading! Taking one of the bottles home to enjoy with my father.

The Rayne I have had a couple of times under Coravin after several dinners throughout the year, and it has been a delight every time. Might end up finishing the bottle on Sunday!

If I was not in Hungary over Christmas… I would open these five.

Kumeu River Traditional Method Sparkling Wine 2013
Domaine Antoine et Francois Jobard, Meursault Premier Cru Poruzots 2010
Côte-Rôtie, Ampodium, Domaine Rostaing, 2010
Henschke Mount Edelstone Shiraz 2006
Domaine Huet Vouvray Moelleux 1ère Trie Le Mont 1989

… but I will be in Hungary, so it will be some wonderful Hungarian wines…

Just looked and even after opening a few we have over 30 bottles reserved for the festive period. Do you think I’ve overthought this?! Highlights (in no particular order of priority or drinking) will include:

*Taittinger Comets de Champagne Blanc Des Blancs 2006 (£60, Marks And Spencer super deal)
*Chateau des Tours Vacqueyras 2011 (£20, Private purchase)
*Saint Cosme Gigondas 2009 (£20 TWS)
*Maury Solera 1928 Cask Number 855 1928 (£16, TWS)
*Tyrrell’s Belford Hunter Valley Semillon 2012 (£19, TWS)

Still not entirely decided, but will be drinking at least some of these:

Louis Sipp Pinot Blanc Réserve Personelle 1988
Mas de Daumas Gassac Rouge 2011
Marcel Deiss Gruenspiel 2010
Mas Amiel Maury 1980
André Kientzler Grand Cru Geisberg Riesling 2013

Yes, it’s Alsace-heavy, but that reflects my cellar and the fact that we spend lots of time there.

The Louis Sipp I tasted at Easter at a tasting of their wines from years ending in ‘8’ - '78, '88 and '98. The rieslings were predictably able to stand up to the ageing, the older gewurz and pinot gris were harder to pin down. But the pinot blanc was a huge surprise - I would never have expected one to last 30 years, but it was amazing, with ripe pears, baked apples, and all sorts going on, and only €18 a bottle.

Mas de Daumas Gassac was bought En Primeur from TWS. Will go with something suitably meaty such as loin of venison.

The Deiss was bought En Primeur from the domaine, and is destined for roast goose. Riesling, gewurztraminer and pinot noir don’t seem natural bedfellows, but at Deiss, it’s all about the terroir rather than the grape variety.

The Maury was bought 10 years ago, also at the domaine, and we’ve been putting off drinking it “for the right time”. Why do we do that? Why not just drink nice wine?

The Kientzler is on the young side, but it’s our youngest’s favourite wine, so we’ll have to force it down :wink:

I’m a great believer in the advice that, instead of saving a nice bottle for a special occasion that may never come, you should sometimes just open the wine and let that be the special occasion.

@Herbster

I could NOT AGREE MORE !!

This is a failure that many of us subscribe to, including myself.
A neighbour, some years ago taunted me with a bottle of Taylors 1955 (I think!?!) that he had been given by a member of the local landed gentry. He said that it was in pristine condition and had kept it in his drinks cabinet located in his lounge. And he proudly recounted that it had been there for over 30 years, untouched and upright!!!:open_mouth::open_mouth: He was waiting for that special occasion at which to open it.
I didn’t have the heart to inform him that he had broken all the laws related to storing wine, he subsequently passed away without drinking it. His son-in-law inherited it and throated it the bottle immediately remarking to me that it was no better than ok.

There is a salutary lesson for all of us. We know that the trap is there, deferring the delight and pleasure of that outstanding bottle(s). But illness or worse, Father Time in the guise of the Grim Reaper just might pay a visit unexpectedly and ones well intentioned plans are trashed!!
For example, I know several people who have lost their sense of taste which must be awful, dementia or Alzheimer’s which can strike early, the list is too hard to recount.
I am not saying drink like there is no tomorrow, be sensible and pragmatic and enjoy the fruits of what you have acquired at a time when you are fully able to appreciate it with the people who mean the most to you. Maybe, not all of them might have a decent palate to a fully enjoy the liquid gold on offer, at least you were there to relish that special bottle with them.

This is a really important bit, too. NO wine tastes as good by yourself as it does shared with others you care about.