01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

25% off wine at Waitrose Cellar for a week

I said I wasn’t going to buy any more wine and then saw this offer!

Snapped up 6 bottle cases of Chateau Musar 2001 for £21 a bottle, Chateau Musar magnum 2013 for £41 a bottle and Samuel Billaud Les Grands Terroirs Chablis 2017 for £16.50 a bottle.

17 Likes

Great! thanks for sharing @NicolaR !

10 Likes

What are people’s go-to wines from Waitrose. Other than sherry (and Musar) I am a fan of
Ghost Corner semillon
Johner pinot noir (this comes and goes)
Chateau de Jacques Quincie (this is I believe a contract bottling, but gives an excellent does what it says on the tin if not hugely exciting for under £10 in the 25% off)
Boschkloof syrah
Thymiopoulos Atma Assyrtiko

2 Likes

They normally have Brazin Old Vine Zinfandel and Muga Reserva (and Seleccion Especial), which are good price when 25% off.

5 Likes

And usually some Rustenberg wines which are also good value - red or white.

Just had a look and if I’m looking at the right thing it seems like a very limited offer, much smaller than usual.

3 Likes

It’s 25% off any 6+ bottle order (wines over £5).

They are definitely worth looking out for. I got a few of the 2019 Chardonnay for £10.99 last week (usual price £14.99).

With you on the Johner @NW_passenger, and they also sell the fab Rabl Schenkenbichl Riesling from time to time, which is definitely worth the money, especially when reduced.
The Etna Rosso, which I tried last month, was very good for the money… and back to Austria - the St Laurent by Heinrich Hartl, though not overly complex, is a joyous midweeker, and the Felsner Grüner Alte Reben a fab example of a GV…

And now I need a drink! Damn you, dry evening! :persevere:

6 Likes

Ive just popped this in my basket thanks :sweat_smile:

Straw wine is out of stock, booo

This might be interesting
https://www.waitrosecellar.com/fine-wine/vincent-careme-terre-brulee-chenin-741655

1 Like

And they are listing the Dom Perignon 2008 for £112.50/bottle. I know, it’s madness but being poor isn’t so bad when you have a few bottles of Dom Perignon in the cupboard. And I never regretted buying the 2002 from Waitrose on offer.

Edit; just remembered the trouble with Waitrose is that they consider vintage to be a moveable feast. Which I do not.

7 Likes

Thanks for the tip off. I too am a fan of the Johner PN, so have stocked up on a couple of bottles. The 2016 is drinking beautifully now, although it’s the 2017 that is listed. Also went for all three Escarpment New Zealand PNs, the South African Ghost Corner PN, Mercurey Vieilles Vignes, Domaine Theulot-Juillot and the Gérard Bertrand Minervois, the latter being a favourite, when I am down in the Languedoc. Thanks again.

3 Likes

Blimey - just nearing the end of a case bought e.p. (or something like that) from TWS. I mght have paid slightly more. And then the wine fairies wave their wands and it appears at Waitrose. Yay - shame its been an awful year for freelancing - so I will give it a miss.

5 Likes

This Araldica Barbera is a great buy @ £7.49/bottle. The site says 2017, but last case I got was the (much better) 2018 vintage.

https://www.waitrosecellar.com/46508

1 Like

You are right: They omit the year of many of the wines on the website. Kinda odd, because it DOES matter to the consumer.

3 Likes

If you like SB then Craggy Range and Springfield Estate are worth a try.
But to anyone who complains about TWS website - wait until you try this one, it’s always really slow and unresponsive in my experience.

1 Like

Is this offer available in store? I’m not familiar with Waitrose Cellar

I think the vintage is normally shown if you go into the detail of each wine. But there’s many a disappointment to be found there. I got quite interested in a few clarets, but the ones I looked at were 2013 or 2014, so probably not the bargain they appear at first.

2 Likes

I will buy their Picpoul on this offer, excellent aperitif wine and check out the Chianti Classico, Sherry and possibly the Blancs des Noir Champagne…Verdejo is not included :cry: this go around.

Normally is, but probably not the full range.

On top of what others have mentioned ( the Chablis from Billaud and the Enselberg Pinot from Johner ). Bought previously when on offer, but I’ve still to try it, the Montlouis ‘Clos de Mosny’ 2017 from Jacky Blot might be worth a punt at £20. The Hochheimer Holle from Kunstler, which I have tried, is a splendid wine if you like firm dry mineral laden Riesling.

3 Likes