01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

2021 Bordeaux! Let the smart talk begin!

5 Likes

Here’s an interesting starter for ten

“a significant return to the use of chaptalisation to augment alcohol levels in practically all *appellations”

3 Likes

Sounds like luncheon claret is back!

Probably at a hefty price increase after another vintage of the century of course :rofl:

1 Like

This is a mickey mouse vintage no doubt!

1 Like

“Sure, the four horseman of the vinous apocalypse were trundling through the region, but their hooves miraculously had relatively little impact in the most important areas, and through some careful management, my vintage is truly excellent in places”

7 Likes

Some more reading if people are interested

I’ll be giving this campaign a wide berth.

10 Likes

Thanks for the share. It all looks a bit grim to me. No wonder (from @AnaGramWords’ link):

This settles it for me

8 Likes

I am going to be fascinated to see the choice of rhetoric amongst the various buyers who are trying to peddle this stuff. A few more supplier-assisted thingy’s in the future perhaps?

3 Likes

“A winemaker’s year”.

“A vintage for heroes”.

2 Likes

A vintage where opulence is scarcer than freshness.
Chateaus in the left (/right) bank fared better, with some classic wines produced. Courageous winemakers adjusted to this unique harvest with creativity. Followers of innovative chateaux like (insert producer of merchant’s largest allocation) will delight in their interpretation of this memorable vintage. Prices are expected to rise.

10 Likes

This made me chuckle

Suspect I’ll end up buying a few 2021s, like I have a little bit of most vintages except 07 and 13, but I won’t be buying any en primeur…

7 Likes

I like the idea of Bordeaux bingo, “charm” will turn up somewhere.

1 Like

I got loads of EP in '18, '19 and '20 and overall I have far too much wine (no really!!!) so I’ll probably give this one a miss. It’s just possible that I might persuade myself to pick up a Bordeaux Old Favourites case but probably not even that.

4 Likes

Far too many good vintages recently to bother with any mediocre or poor ones! 09, 10, 15,16, 18, 19, 20…

7 Likes

Laithwaites 2020 EP offer is still open and choc-a-block full of goodies. I decided to grab a case from there instead.

1 Like

Reminds me of the 1972 vintage…

1 Like

Maybe pick up a case or 2 from Northern Medoc but that will be it for me, for much the same reasons Mike

1 Like

I don’t think I’ll need much convincing to be bearish.

“Reverse osmosis machine” - will perhaps feature in whispered discussion. But never stated in writing.

1 Like

Yes it’s amazing how there is so much positive rhetoric but the numbers all look wrong. You can add sugar but your not going to get the right acidity or ripeness that nature gives on a good year.

Luckily this community has influenced my buying of 18,19 and 20 and I bought more 16 post EP. As there are so many other excellent wines I have only recently tried (Greek, Portuguese) I think I will use the 2021 as an excuse to rebalance my cellar.

4 Likes