01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

1959 Vouvray Domaine Huet

I purchased this from TWS a number of years ago. I keep on waiting for the special occasion to open it.
As anyone had the pleasure of such a wine?

2 Likes

No, but if you’re looking for someone to share it with… there are plenty of us willing :wink:!

7 Likes

One never knows, perhaps after lockdown finishes.
I have 4 bottles to go at besides the Vouvray:
Château Léoville Barton 2007
Suiderat 1982
Warre Port 1963 and Grahams Port 1977
These are the last of my savers

3 Likes

I had a half of the Huet Le Mont Demi-sec 1969 for my 50th last year. It was still piercingly fresh, with intense grapefruit and elderflower, incredibly long and contemplative. I suspect these wines are near immortal, and will outlast us all.

7 Likes

When you open it. That’s your special occasion.

13 Likes

:point_up_2:Yes, too often we hang onto stuff waiting for what exactly? Open it, drink it with someone special, job done.

8 Likes

Is it the Haut Lieu Moelleux or demi-sec you bought? Either way I’m sure it’ll be gorgeous!

I was fortunate enough to try a few (at a tasting at my local wine school) but not the 1959.

For what it’s worth, my notes on the older vintages around that time were:

• 1948 Le Haut Lieu Moelleux was beautifully, though quite fully, developed in its flavour profile, though still “remarkably fresh”.
  • 1955 Le Mont Demi-Sec was all cinder toffee, apricot jam and dried orange peel, also with high acidity — “beautiful”.
  • 1957 Le Mont Moelleux 1er Trie — a mix of dried fruits and jams, also with remarkably high acidity still — “Amazing”, “Singing”, “goes on for minutes”.
  • 1969 Le Mont Demi-Sec — “certainly doesn’t look 50 years old!”, and the feeling in the room was that this might actually be a bit young still, and perhaps in a little dumb phase.

Wine of the night was a tie between the 1971 Le Mont Moelleux and the 1970 Clos du Bourg Moelleux (though gun to head, the latter would probably just about have taken it).

As others have said, I’m sure it’ll be delightful whenever you choose to open it!

7 Likes

Is it the Haut Lieu Moelleux or demi-sec you bought?

It is the Haut Lie Moelleux.

1 Like

These also survive for many generations:

I’ve just had a 1959 Huet Moelleux 1ère Trie Le Mont delivered from TWS. I’m really looking forward to sharing it with my family on Boxing Day. What temperature would people serve it at? I think straight from the fridge could be too cold.

1 Like

I’d personally go ‘cellar temperature’. Straight from the fridge would be too cold.

Pop and taste and ice bucket if needed.

Judging by the size of her mouth she could drink the whole bottle.

Sounds good. We’re going to have it leisurely with a bit of cheese so easy to chill down if needed. I like the Sec wines really quite cool but I think the sweeter wines benefit from being served warmer.

2 Likes

I’ve got two halves of the 1989 left (of six).

I don’t think there will be an immediate rush with the Leoville Barton either…