01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

1620 Syrah Viognier

discovery

Thought I would share a recent (new to me) discovery, that I think others here may like too…

It’s from the Chateau Pennautier stable that has cropped up here a few times recently and was bought on that basis, having recently enjoyed their Viognier.

Classic northern Rhône blend of Syrah and Viognier this has a very distinctive red fruit and graphite aroma with cracked black pepper and violet notes too. On the palate there is moderate acidity and a pleasing peppery Syrah flavour. Viognier softens everything and the tannins seem nicely integrated. Not an overly long finish, but then again it’s only £7.50 so that’s probably to be expected.

All in all, this is great value easy drinking for northern Rhône fans but at an excellent price point, and hailing from near Carcassonne.

What's in your basket? [23 July]

thanks for the suggestion - not tried it but now added to the wish list for next month!

Their Cabernet Franc was pretty good too, will check this one out!

Definitely sounds one to try. Cheers for the tip off :+1:

exactly what I hoped the Discovery tag would be useful for - something a little out of the ordinary we might all have missed that is worth checking out (doesn’t have to be EVERYONE’s cup of tea).

This is great, thanks @Alchemist, I shall definitely give it a try